DOUBLE DECKER CHILI CRUNCH PATTY MELT
This patty melt uses Chili Crunch in both the special sauce and also on top of the cheese, making an extra spicy version of one of our favorite sandwiches. We opted for a double decker version, but you could easily change things up and make four single decker sandwiches instead—you’ll just need 2 more slices of bread.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Momofuku Savory Seasoned Salt
- 1 tablespoon Momofuku Soy Sauce
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 8 slices American cheese
- 6 slices rye bread
- special sauce:
- ½ cup Heinz ketchup
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Momofuku Rice Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Momofuku Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Momofuku Chili Crunch
- Prepare the special sauce by combining the ingredients and stirring until smooth. Set aside for later.
- Combine ground beef, Momofuku Savory Seasoned Salt, and Momofuku Soy Sauce in a large bowl and mix until well combined. Roll gently into four evenly sized balls.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat until it’s very hot. Add 2 burger patties and use a spatula to smash them until they are very thin, a little larger than the size of your slice of rye bread. (They will shrink as they cook.) Top each patty with a few of your sliced onions and smash it again. Cook for about 2 minutes or until the patties are crisped, then flip. Cook an additional minute, then remove from the pan. Repeat for additional 2 burger patties.
- Wipe skillet and lower to medium heat. Toast 2 slices of rye bread in your hot pan on each side until they are well toasted.
- Assemble your patty melts. Start with 1 slice of untoasted rye bread. Spread the bottom with special sauce, then top with 1 cooked burger patty, 2 slices of American cheese, a generous spoonful of Momofuku Chili Crunch, and 1 toasted slice of rye bread. Repeat for the second layer: more special sauce, another cooked burger patty, 2 more slices of American cheese, and another generous spoonful of Momofuku Chili Crunch. Top with remaining slice of bread.
- Carefully transfer patty melt to the skillet, and using spatula, gently press. Cook until the underside is well toasted and cheese is starting to melt, about a minute or two, then flip and cook until the other side is toasted and cheese is fully melted. Repeat for the second melt.
- Serve with remaining special sauce and additional Momofuku Chili Crunch.